Creighton Law LLP
Call Us Today For Personalized Service 1-800-216-4970

Child custody and traveling with a child

Are you divorced? Do you still spend a lot of time with your child? If you find yourself in this position, you know that summer can bring forth a variety of unique challenges.

If you decide to travel with your child this summer, there are a few things you need to know. For example, you may be asked for a variety of documents when traveling to another country. Do you have the documents required to prove that you are legally permitted to travel with your child? If you don't, it is possible that you could be denied entry to the country.

To prevent delays, the best thing you can do is have a travel consent letter on hand. This letter, signed by the other parent, can come in handy if there are any questions regarding the legality of taking your child out of the country.

It also makes good sense to carry a copy of the court order with you. Anything that details travel arrangements could work in your favor.

Do you need the other parent's permission to travel with the child? Again, this is something you can find on your agreement. Remember this: Even if you have sole custody, you may require the other parent's permission to take the child out of the country.

Traveling with a child during the summer months is common. Just make sure that you have all your paperwork in line, as you don't want to face any unnecessary challenges. By discussing this with the other parent upfront, you can avoid issues that may slow you down in the future.

Source: Community Legal Education Ontario, "Separation and Divorce: Child Custody, Access, and Parenting Plans," accessed June 03, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Creighton Law LLP

235 King St. E.
Oshawa, ON L1H 1C5

Toll Free: 800-216-4970
Fax: 905-432-2323
Map & Directions

Google Map